Two people who were found Monday night in a burning West Ottawa home have been pronounced dead.
At 10:10 p.m., Ottawa firefighters responded to a 911 call about a garage fire on Carling Avenue and Hansen Avenue, southwest of March Road.
When firefighters arrived, flames were visible and the garage roof began to collapse.
As the stairs to the house were on fire, firefighters reached the second floor using ladders, where they found two unresponsive people. Both were later pronounced dead.
The fire was brought under control after 11 p.m. Ottawa Police and the Fire Marshal’s Office are investigating.
Explosions were heard in the neighborhood
Anne-Marie Faulkner, who lives on the street, said she heard two explosions a minute apart.
“The whole building, the front, and the cars were already on fire. Even on the second floor all the windows were already on fire. The smoke and heat were intense,” Faulkner said.
Faulkner said the couple who lived there were the same age as she and her husband.
“We were shivering at one last night,” he said.
Andrew Elias, who lives next door, said he noticed the flames just before 10 p.m. He grabbed his children and cat and emptied their house.
“It was incredibly fast,” Elias said. “You know, [it’s] It’s scary enough to understand what it means to get out as quickly as you can and plan a way out. I now understand that statement. “
Neighbors said their safety was a top priority in their minds after the fire. Elias said he talks to his children about strategies.
“Be very clear with them, you know, tear up any window and screen you have and get the hell out of here,” he said.
Watch | Neighbors on Hansen Avenue in Canada are shocked by how quickly the fire spread:
Double-check the fire safety plan: Fire officials
More people have died in fires in Ottawa in 2020 than in any other year since 2001 in Ottawa.
“We know people are spending more time in their homes this year, and it’s more important than ever to take home fire safety seriously,” Carson Tharis said., A public information officer with Ottawa Fire Services.
He said people should test smokers monthly and make sure there is one on every site.
“If you do not know what you last tested, go out today and test that smoke alarm.”
He urged people to be vigilant while cooking in the oven and to ensure that candles and space heaters are kept at least one meter away from any obstacles.
A neighborhood awareness for the family is scheduled for Tuesday night at 7 p.m.