February 27, 2021

The data error is only half of the reported Ontario COVID-19 vaccines

Dr. Adolstein Brown, co-chair of Ontario’s COVID-19 Scientific Advisory Schedule, is scheduled to elaborate on the revised COVID-19 plans for the province at a news conference starting at 3pm ET.

You can see it directly in this story.


Ontario has announced the number of people fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in the province, the health ministry said Thursday.

If the error is that the number of people who received both doses of the Pfizer-Bioendech or Modern vaccines is only half that of the province.

“Rather than providing data on the number of people who have been fully vaccinated … the authorities have inadvertently provided the number of doses administered to achieve the full vaccine,” a ministry spokesman said in a statement to the media.

Data on the total amounts administered were not affected, the spokesman said.

So far 96,549 people have received both drugs, the province said yesterday. In fact, there were only 48,239. To 55,286 this morning.

The vaccination data page has been updated to accurately reflect current statistics, a spokesman said.

A further 2,093 cases of COVID-19 were reported in Ontario, and 56 deaths were reported.

More than 2,000 outbreaks have been reported in the province since Sunday. However, the seven-day average of daily cases continues to drop to 2,128.

Today’s update includes 700 cases in Toronto, 311 in Peel, 228 in York and 123 in Niagara.

Other public health units that have seen double-digit increases:

  • Hamilton: 94.
  • Durham: 85.
  • Windsor-Essex: 67.
  • Halton Region: 64.
  • Waterloo Region: 56.
  • Simco-Muscoca: 53.
  • Ottawa: 45.
  • Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph: 43.
  • Middlesex-London: 37.
  • East Ontario: 30.
  • Saddam-Kent: 25.
  • Horan-Perth: 18.
  • Southwest: 16.
  • Lampton: 15.
  • Thunder Bay: 14.
READ  Island family wins landmark lawsuit against Air Canada - Victoria News

(Note: All statistics used in this story can be found on or near the COVID-19 Dashboard of the Ministry of Health Daily epidemiological summary. The number of cases in any region may differ from those reported by the local public health department because local units report statistics at different times.)

There are currently 21,478 confirmed, active infections from the January 11 peak of 30,632. That number is down because the number of settled cases is consistently higher than the new ones.

56 additional deaths raise Ontario’s total COVID-19-linked death toll to 6,014.

Public health officials are due to provide an update on the revised COVID-19 modeling projections this afternoon.

The province said Dr. Adolstein Brown, co-chair of Ontario’s COVID-19 Scientific Advisory Schedule, will provide the update.

It has been two weeks since the provincial government implemented a home stay order in a bid to stem the spread of the virus.

The provincial chief health officer said earlier this week that the provincial-level “locking”, which began on December 26, 2020, seems to have contributed to the recent reduction in daily cases.

The last modeling update outlined earlier this month suggested that it could cover Ontario’s health care system for COVID-19 patients in need of complex care.

A further 4 students from health departments are returning to school next week

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Education today announced that students in four more public health departments will have the green light to return to schools for individual classes next week.

It has about 280,000 students in the following health departments:

  • Middlesex-London.
  • Ottawa.
  • Southwest.
  • Eastern Ontario.
READ  Corona virus: What happens on Monday in Canada and around the world

Read the full list of school boards affected by the announcement.

In a statement, Education Minister Stephen Les wrote that the government accepts the “growing consensus in the medical community” that returning to school is “essential for the well-being, development and mental health of children”.

The government has introduced some new security measures in schools this winter – including cover for grades 1 to 3 – and the debate continues over whether the measures are adequate.

The next wave of students from Toronto, Peel, York, Windsor and Hamilton is currently set to return on February 10th.