January 20, 2021

Immigration corner | Do I need to apply to Canada for a master’s degree? | News

Dear Ms. Powell,

I recently completed my bachelor’s degree a little early and would love to study abroad. I was looking at different countries and I couldn’t make up my mind. My family members recommend various countries in the US, UK and Europe. However, I am drawn to Canada based on your weekly articles and Facebook posts. My degree is in management course and I am thinking of a postgraduate professional certificate, MBA or any of those ways. I was looking at the University of Toronto, but still didn’t know what the plan was. Do you think it is easy to get a visa to study in Canada? Is studying in Canada expensive? Can I work and go to school? Thanks in advance for your time.

– L.L.

Good day L.L.

Congratulations on completing your first degree early and your decision to pursue a master’s degree in Canada. In today’s competitive world, you need to pursue an education that can give you a competitive edge in the global market.

If you choose Canada, you will benefit from a first-rate education system that uses sophisticated technology to develop transformative skills such as critical thinking, teamwork and effective communication. You will have a rich cultural experience and the opportunity to live and learn in a bilingual environment.

Canada is globally secure, values ​​diversity and inclusion. In addition, Canadian universities are known for their high ranking and excellence. You mentioned that you are interested in the University of Toronto (UofT). This is a great choice because UFT is known as one of the top 20 universities in the world. There are many more colleges and universities in the less populous and competitive provinces of Saskatchewan, British Columbia, Manitoba and Alberta. Take a look at this www.collegesinstitutes.ca View a list of universities and their programs.

READ  An employee of the Canada Post says he will not run an extreme right-wing newspaper in Regina

Application process and cost

The visa application process does not need to be difficult. You need to evaluate what the visa officer is looking for and deliver it. The first step is to be prepared and provide proof that you can cover your expenses for the duration of your project.

You need to explore the cost of education and rent, boarding and living expenses in your school community. The average international student needs about $ 25,000 CDN per year to study in Canada. Can you and / or your parents invest in your postgraduate course?

A student will be allowed to work on a part-time basis and there is no guarantee that you will get a job. Therefore, you cannot use the part-time job you expect as proof that you are able to purchase international courses. View your part-time job as a bonus or savings, or assist with course activities such as traveling by train to explore other provinces, learning to ski and taking on new hobbies. It takes time to adjust to the new environment. What if you never got a part-time job? If you are overworked in your studies, what if you can’t cope with the demands of a job?

Study plan

Another important factor when applying for a study permit is to explain why you would like to study in Canada and the courses you have chosen. Can you pursue an MBA or other relevant course in your home country? What is unique about the project you have chosen? How can this plan help you achieve your long-term goals? Ultimately, you should have a good chance of getting a job when you finish the program.

READ  COVID-19 in PEI: What happens on Sunday, December 20th

Some unique projects you can see are Master of Business Management in Socio-Economic Development; Master of Environmental Economics and Management or Masters in Operations and Research; Masters in Strategic Management, Health Management or Corporate Account Management. Take a look at this www.findamasters.com For ideas.

Postgraduate diploma in reputed colleges is low cost and can be completed in one or two years. If you are able to matriculate, you should look for a postgraduate diploma in programs such as brand management, executive business management, advance business management – alcohol security, advanced security management, business decision making analysis, global business management, supply chain management, international. Business management or brain disorder management, to name a few.


If you want to gain international work experience and live permanently in Canada, you can apply for a Master’s Work Permit (PGWP) and live permanently in Canada. If you have work experience, language skills and other factors to enter the Express Entrance Pool, you may be on track to become a permanent resident of Canada. The Express Entry System manages economic programs and applications from qualified individuals under the Canadian Experience Class, Federal Skilled Employee Plan, Federal Skilled Business Plan and Provincial Nomination Plan.

The application for study permit and work permit will be simple with the help of an immigration attorney with experience and knowledge of Canadian immigration laws, regulations and organizations. For more information on the application or visa application process for colleges and universities in Canada, you can request a phone call via my website www.deidrepowell.com.

Dietrey S. Powell is a lawyer, arbitrator and notary in Ottawa, Ontario. Submit your questions and comments www.deidrepowell.com. Follow her on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for the latest Canadian immigration news.

READ  Some Canadian glaciers choose to head north this winter